A history lesson...
In 1663 Sir Thomas Widdrington founded a school at Stamfordham.
The school provided free education for all of the children of the poor of the parish. However, parents had to provide books and make a financial contribution towards fuel for the fire in winter.
Attendance was erratic. It was reported in the early nineteenth century that '... in winter, the average number is between sixty and seventy, and in the summer between thirty and forty'.
This may have been because the school served a largely agricultural community and it was common practice for children to work with their parents during busy periods in the agricultural calendar.
The school then moved to what is now 'The Village Hall' where it stayed until 1974, when the current school was opened.